As the title suggests, I am working on the second version of the virtual machine I created in 2019.
I put myself out there and decided to create a training on Mobile Security and Bug Bounties – something I wanted to learn and am still interested in.
I noticed there was a virtual machine titled – Android Tamer, score! Well… not really. At the time, Android Tamer was SUPER out of date. Speaking with the creator, Anant Shrivastava about my dilemma needing a virtual machine for my training. Anant told me that it would be easier to create my own virtual machine as opposed to fixing the current version of Android Tamer.
Creating my own virtual machine? I’ve never done that before. Challenge accepted!
Anant, was SUPER helpful with all of my questions and guided me on creating the virtual machine. In about a month the first version was created. Yay!
After the training, I asked for feedback and decided I needed to revamp the virtual machine to make it more accessible/user friendly.
I added and updated out of date software in the virtual machine.
Then I noticed – I was running out of memory when trying to do my upgrades.
I realized at that moment, I totally underestimated the size of the virtual machine.
So, at this time I am revamping the virtual machine and starting with a barebone version of Ubuntu 18.04 (this is the OS the first version was built on) from Vagrant. Again, Anant gave me this advice when creating the first version. I didn’t go down that path as I never heard of Vagrant.
Speaking of Vagrant – shameless plug – I created a course through Cybrary on Intro to Vagrant. The course can be found here.
I started on the quest to version 2 yesterday (Sunday February 7, 2021), and I must say it was trying, yet fun.
Once I created the vagrantfile and started the vagrant box I realized I was dealing with the command prompt. I knew this wasn’t going to work and I needed to add a user interface. Looking on the internet, I found the lightdm and tried installing it. Once I rebooted my virtual machine, I encountered the error “could not log into session.” The login did not work.
Putting my research hat, I found the following link on how to remediate the no session login. Hmm, the ligthdm is using an older version of the unity framework that needs to be removed.
Rebooting the machine – it was a…
I had a user interface, but I didn’t like it. See tweets below
I wanted the user interface to have the same feel as the 18.04 Bionic Beaver operating system.
Doing even more research I found that 18.04 Bionic Beaver is using the MATE desktop.
Back to Google I go. I found a great site on how to install MATE onto a Linux operating system.
Somewhat score? The user interface is getting close, but not there.
Going back to the site above, I noticed that I installed the wrong version of the MATE desktop. I installed just the MATE desktop without the bells and whistles.
Looking at the bottom for the Ubuntu section it states – “
Alternatively you may choose to install Ubuntu MATE Remix.
Ubuntu MATE is a more comprehensive option that offers a slightly tweaked
layout, configuration, and themes to integrate into Ubuntu in a more seamless
fashion. This will install the complete MATE Desktop Environment as well as
LightDM and numerous other applications to provide a full and well rounded
Once I installed the Remixed version – I finally found success!
Now that I have the interface I wanted – it’s time to add the tools and insecure apps.
Yes, that’s what set my virtual machine apart – I have insecure android apps installed in the virtual machine for students to learn mobile and android hacking as well as the common programs needed to perform mobile and android hacking.
Now, the fun part… Adding the software. I’ve added Metasploit, Burp and Zap proxies, etc.
I can’t wait to show the final product!
I hope everyone likes it…